- Beulah Bondi “The Gorgeous Hussy”
- Alice Brady “My Man Godfrey”
- Bonita Granville “These Three”
- Maria Ouspenskaya “Dodsworth”
- Gale Sondergaard “Anthony Adverse”
For a cross-section of opinions (including my own) on these nominees, check out StinkyLulu’s 1936 smackdown. For some wide-ranging thoughts on the ladies I would have nominated that year, read on.
(Editor's Note: StinkyLulu here. Ken's got a pile of excellent notes on other important 1936 performances; they'll be up in the next coupla days as time permits.)